Thursday 5 August 2010

Numero Uno

Right.

Ok, well, as some of you know I encountered some problems with my suitcase before I left; ie, I locked all of my stuff in the case which has somehow set itself to an unknown code. Useful. So that caused a MASSIVE freak-out pre-airport. I don't know why I was quite so panicked, but it was probably the thought that I had no idea whether I was going to be able to access my stuff when I got to the other side, so that was fun to think about for however long! (story continues later*.. what mystery).

The next big ol' pile of fun happened at check-in, when there was another panic re: visa. Managed to work it out though, and they let me through, where I had to bum around the departure lounge for ages contemplating spending money I knew damn well I shouldn't touch! (PS, Mum - I was sensible). The flight was then delayed a little while and blah blah blah, but overall it was ok. I don't know if it felt like 14 hours as I was trying to get my head around the different timezones and stuff before I arrived. It was fine though, no screaming babies until landing, which is fine because my ears hurt, too, and if it were socially acceptable to do the same then I would have.

So, yeah. Flight was good and then stepping off the plane I was hit in the face by the heat. Woop! Customs and whatnot was all fine after wondering if baked beans needed to be declared or not (turns out, no in case you were wondering) and I was let into the country fine. Huzzah! Uncle Mike was waiting for me on the other side and I was introduced to a drink called 'Pocari Sweat'. Sounds kind of gross but it looks like water, tastes like powerade, is good for rehydration and is fast becoming my new favourite thing. We then hit the bus and ventured to Lu-Jou/ Lujhou City (home of Uncle Mike, I-Yin and Vincent). Lovely.

On arrival to the building, I was shown how to get in, there are a million different keys (well, three) and had a lovely warm welcome from Yogurt (the cat) and a tour of the apartment. It's very nice and my room is lovely and white and I have my own air-con and fan. Yum yum. The difference it makes is insane: I will go out of my door and into the living room and the heat is very *BAM* in your face. HOT. I was then treated to the lovely traditional, Taiwanese classic of Dominos Pizza. Hehe. This was not my choice, but Mike's but was very welcome! Out here, what we'd call an american base is known as "puffy pizza". Hehe, I love it! It's all very exciting. Vincent was a little apprehensive towards me, but hopefully will be less so soon.

*(Part 2 of the suitcase dilemma) After being sent instructions about how to pick the combination lock, neither me or Mike could do it. Hmmm. I was adamant that the first number in the combination was 2, so I literally sat spinning through the numbers, attempting to open it when suddenly *click* and the lock released, setting all of my belongings, and the presents I had brought free! I was so relieved that I didn't have to take the bloody thing to a locksmith to prise open. Phew. Access to my own belongings! I had to work for it though.

Day 2 was spent wandering around the local area, and now I have my own keys! We then went to look around Kid Castle (The school where Mike works) and meeting the staff there. It's SO fancy inside, very modern and lovely. Stopping in a shop to get a drink, a girl in the queue behind me said "You are very tall" and her and all her friends laughed. I didn't quite know how to react, so I smiled and nodded and said "Umm, yes." Eloquent! Then some time to laugh at translations on signs before jumping on the number 14 bus to head into Taipei. We didn't have very long there, but we looked around Taipei Main Station and the went to Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall to see the changing of the guards. It was awesome. The building was incredible, and the guards' control, timing and sychronicity was brilliant (drama perspective..). Lots of spinning rifles and stamping. Lovely. We then ventured back via the MRT which is like the tube, but a lot cleaner, shinier and modern. The trains are so swish! And then back to Lu-Jou. That's all I can think of so far. I will get to photos at a later date.

Plenty more exciting things to come. =)

I hope this wasn't too dull!

6 comments:

  1. Love part one, your writing is very expressive. Can't wait to see the photos, big kiss to Vincent (when he lets you near enough) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. baked beans? were you really going to miss them that much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They weren't for me, they were for my uncle! He requested them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jess! Glad you got your stuff in the end- the whole thing had me chuckling though no doubt it wasn't that funny at all. Looking forward to subsequent parts. Have a fab time. Love Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha! yeh I figured that out, I just like to have a pop from time to time.
    when we were headed to Australia first time (about 11 years ago)we took 4 kilos of dairy milk, 60 packets of cheese and onions crisps and 2 kilos of marmite for some friends. that was an interesting amount to declare at customs

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can actually buy baked beans some places here in shanghai, but the catch is that they're like £4 a can. :/

    ReplyDelete